Chief Surveyor leads the work of the underground mine survey team, develops and implements modern and high-quality engineering solutions for underground mine surveying to ensure safe and efficient execution of mining operations.
- Support operations through consistent and timely performance of the daily activities pertaining to the survey function, including the layout and maintenance of survey reference marks.
- Ensure the regular review of mine survey processes and investigate, assess, and where appropriate, trial new methods or technology.
- Ensure the proper use, maintenance, and calibration of survey equipment.
- Reconcile weekly and monthly survey measures. The survey function is also expected to work cross-functionally with operations and technical services to maintain visual aids to help communicate the short, medium to long-term mine planning and designs, through the maintenance of the various Deswik layers.
- Manage and direct the activities of the surveying team, provide direction, mentoring and coaching.
- Ensure plans, budgets and schedules are sufficiently developed; management systems and processes are adequately applied; and personal attention is appropriately directed to ensure that important deadlines are met, and budget constraints are adhered to.
- Comply with local labor laws and regulations.